Strike: LAUTECH ASUU dares Makinde on threat to stop subvention

…Says we are forging ahead with strike

By Moyosore Salami  

The Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Ogbomoso Chapter of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), yesterday, said that any branch that breaks the strike would lose out on the benefits of the struggle, including infrastructure development. 

The chapter mentioned that its members had resolved to forge ahead with the strike and pursue it to a logical conclusion.

The union in a statement jointly signed by its Chairman, Prof. Biodun Olaniran and Secretary, Prof. Toyin Abegunrin, after their congress, berated Governor Seyi Makinde for his threat to stop payment of subvention until lecturers returned to classrooms.

ASUU stated that the government should not see itself or students as the target of the strike but as beneficiaries of the strike as the intervention of most state governments in terms of subvention has been used as part-payment of salaries.

ASUU leaders said that the commissioner’s claim on subvention had created further distrust between the management and the unions as to who is saying the truth and who is not.

According to LAUTECH ASUU, the responsibility of capital projects has been totally abdicated and surrendered to TETFUND and NEEDS assess projects of ASUU’s struggles.

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State

They further noted that lecturers were very sensitive to the plight of the students but that the government should commend the union for the struggle, which has helped in training its members in human capacity development through TETFund grants.

Meanwhile, the commissioner said LAUTECH has been receiving full subvention. This position is a variant with the submission of the university administration that only about 55 per cent of the subvention is provided by the government while the remaining 45 per cent is sought by the university via internally generated revenue (IGR).

“Our union is in the darkness of the true situation of things. Ordinarily, IGR is expected to be used to defray arrears of various allowances owed the workers by the university, but rather, the university administration attributed its inability to defray these outstanding arrears to it having to augment salary with as much as 45 per cent of the monthly subvention to the university. However, the claim by the commissioner has further worsened the distrust of our union on the sincerity of the university administration, believing that the welfare of our members is being toyed with (with a political game).”

Related posts

Leave a Reply